From a Pot: Elderflower Fritters
Crunchy, delicious elderflowers fritters.
It’s early summer time, which also means that the elderflower tree is in bloom, which means it’s time to make crunchy baked elderflower fritters. Elderflowers are the edible blossoms of Elder tree, you can use them in many different recipes, but they are the most commonly used as elderflower fritters or as an elderflower syrup.
Elder trees are common around Europe, their peak season is around May and June, so just go out in the woods and pick them up. When picking the flowers, choose the ones that are fully in bloom with no buds and are still fresh and white, not turning brown. When you pick them off a tree, use them as soon as possible, as they start to wilt soon.
This recipe is so simple yet so good, because you're eating flowers (duh). All you have to do is dip fresh elderflower heads into the batter and fry it until golden and crispy.
Prep Time:10 Minutes
Cook Time:10 Minutes
Total Time:20 Minutes
- Big pan
- Egg: 3.0
- Milk: 200.0 ml
- Flour: 160.0 g
Ingredients and Instructions
Milk: 200 ml
Flour: 160 g
Cinnamon: 0.5 tsp
Salt: 0.5 tsp
Sugar: 1 tbsp
- Wash the elderflower blooms well, then cut off the elderflower stalks, leaving the white parts still joined together.
- Heat some oil in a medium size pan.
- While the oil is heating, mix together the eggs, sugar, salt, flour and cinnamon to get a thick batter. Mix well so that there are no lumps in the batter.
- Dip the elderflowers into the batter, then gently drop them into the hot oil. Fray them for about 4 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Turn them around once while fraying so that they are evenly baked on both sides.
- When they are baked, place them on a plate with a paper towel, to get rid of oil.
- Serve them topped with some powdered sugar, ice cream, honey, maple syrup, marmalade or even Nutella.
- Can I bake elderflowers in the air fryer?
- I never tried it, but sure why not.
- Can I make this vegan?
- Yes, just skip the eggs and use plant based milk. Instead of eggs, you can use a ripe banana or skip it all together.
- Since I love Harry Potter (it will probably forever be one of my favorite book series) here's a fun fact. In the books there is a reference to the Elder tree, it is said that the most powerful wand was made of Elder tree wood.
- “So Death crossed to an elder three to the banks of the river, fashioned a wand from a branch that hung there and gave it to the oldest brother.” - The tale of the three brothers