From a Pot: Pumpkin Puree
Homemade pumpkin puree.
Pumpkin puree is a smooth and creamy food product made from mashed pumpkin. It is often used as a base for pumpkin pie, soups, and other pumpkin-flavored dishes.
Prep Time:10 Minutes
Bake Time:45 Minutes
Total Time:55 Minutes
- Parchment Paper
- Baking tray
- Pumpkin: 1.0
Ingredients and Instructions
- Peel the pumpkin, cut it in half, scrape out the seeds then cut it into small 2 x 2 cm cubes.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place pieces of sliced pumpkin onto it. Make sure the pieces do not touch each other.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 45 - 60 minutes, or until the pumpkin is fork tender. Be careful not to over bake, otherwise the pumpkin will get a slightly bitter aftertaste.
- When the pumpkin is still hot, throw it into a food processor or blend it until you get a smooth puree.
- Store the puree in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 2 months.
- What pumpkin do I use?
- You can use different types of pumpkin, butternut pumpkin, Hokkaido … Different pumpkins of course have different flavors and different textures.
- I prefer to use Hokkaido pumpkin because the puree made from it is the densest and least watery.
- Do I have to peel a pumpkin?
- Yes. “Skin” of the pumpkin in most cases isn’t edible. There are of course some exceptions, for example Hokkaido pumpkin. Even then, I recommend peeling it, so that there are no large pieces in the puree.
- What do I do if the puree is too thick?
- If you find the puree too thick, add a teaspoon or two of water while blending.
- What do I do if the puree is too runny?
- If your puree is too runny, squeeze it with a kitchen towel or press it through a strainer. If none of these helps, heat it in a pan at a high temperature to get rid of the water.
- Where can I use pumpkin puree?
- Pumpkin puree is great for pumpkin pies, cakes, soups, gnocchi, risottos …
- Can I buy pumpkin puree in a store?
- If you live in America, yes. I have never seen it in Europe before, but you can order it online.
- It is a good source of fiber, Vitamin A, and other nutrients.
- Pumpkin puree is low in calories and fat, making it a healthy ingredient in many recipes.
- It can be used as a substitute for other types of puree in recipes, such as sweet potato or potato puree.
- Pumpkin puree can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- It is a versatile ingredient that can be used in both sweet and savory dishes.
- Pumpkin puree is a popular ingredient in fall and winter recipes, but can be used year-round.