From a Pot Recipe: Vegetarian Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
Delicious vegetarian meatballs with tomato sauce.
Vegetarian meatballs are a meat-free alternative to traditional meatballs. They can be served with a variety of sauces, but a classic pairing is with a tomato sauce. Vegetarian meatballs are a healthy and delicious option for those who follow a plant-based diet or are looking for a meatless meal option.
Prep Time:20 Minutes
Cook Time:30 Minutes
Bake Time:20 Minutes
Total Time:1 hour and 10 Minutes
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Large pot
- Cutting board
- Soy: 100.0 g
- Rice: 40.0 g
- Bread crumbs: 70.0 g
- Vegetable soup base: 500.0 ml
- Egg: 1.0
- Tomatoes: 500.0 g
- Onion: 1.0
- Paprika powder
- Tomato paste
Ingredients and Instructions
Soy: 100 g
Rice: 40 g
Bread crumbs: 70 g
Vegetable soup base: 300 ml
Salt: 2 tsp
Pepper: 1 tsp
Parsley: 1 tbsp
Tomatoes: 500 g
Vegetable soup base: 200 ml
Oil: 1 tbsp
Sugar: 2 tbsp
Paprika powder: 2 tsp
Salt: 1 tsp
Pepper: 0.5 tsp
Tomato paste: 1 tsp
- Cook the soy in a boiling soup base for about 10 minutes. Then drain it, squeeze the water out of it with a wooden spoon and wait for it to cool.
- Cook rice in the boiling water for about 15 minutes. Then drain it and put it in a large bowl together with soy. Add the egg, spices, bread crumbs and mix well.
- With your hands, form small balls and bake them in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cut the onion and tomatoes into smaller pieces.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and saute until fragrant. Then add 2 tablespoons of sugar and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the tomatoes and all the spices and simmer for about 2 minutes, then pour in soup base and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Blend the sauce with a blender, then add in vegetarian meatballs.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, bread, rice …
- If you can’t form nice “meatballs” your soy is probably too wet. Add some more bread crumbs to it, and it should be fine.
- For the vegan version of the recipe, skip the egg and add some more bread crumbs.
- The amount of sugar you add will vary slightly depending on how sour your tomatoes are. Add more sugar if necessary.
You may also like:
Mashed Potatoes - Available soon
- In Slovenia we have a meat version of this dish called “čufti”.